Key Things to Note:
USDOT/FTA Tribal Transit Program (TTP) – Discretionary Grant:
- FTA Funding Announcement Website: https://www.transit.dot.gov/funding/applying/notices-funding/public-transportation-indian-reservations-program-fy-2018-notice
- Purpose: “The primary purpose of these competitively selected grants is to support planning, capital, and, in limited circumstances, operating assistance for tribal public transit services. Funds distributed to Indian tribes under the TTP should not replace or reduce funds that Indian tribes receive from states through FTA’s Section 5311 program.”
- Proposal Deadline: September 10, 2018; 11:59 p.m. EDT. Grant proposal to be entered in Grants.gov – FTA recommends application entered 3 days prior to deadline. Must ensure the applicant is approved for Grants.gov and SAM at least 3 weeks prior to application submittal.
- Total Federal Funding Available:$5 Million
- Eligible Applicants:“Federally recognized Indian tribes or Alaska Native villages, groups, or communities as identified by the U.S. Department of Interior (DOI), Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), located in rural areas with a population of 50,000 or less.”
- Eligible Expenses: Public transportation capital (including technology), planning, and operating projects (in limited circumstances)
- Matching Share:90% Federal and 10% non-federal share (note, if local share is an issue with a tribal agency, FTA may allow an exemption due to “financial hardship” – discuss with Todd)
- Planning and Local/Regional Prioritization
- Project Readiness
- Demonstration of Need
- Demonstration of Benefits
- Financial Commitment and Operating Capacity
- Geographic diversity and past management of FTA funding may be considered in decision-making.
- Projects must meet USDOT’s key objectives: support economic vitality, utilize alternative funding sources, accountable for life-cycle costs, innovative approaches to safety and project delivery, and Holding grant recipients accountable for their performance and achieving specific, measurable outcomes
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact the appropriate FTA Regional Office for proposal-specific information and issues.
For general program information, contact:
Douglas Moore, Office of Program Management
202.366.0876 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A TDD is available at 1–800–877–8339 (TDD/ FIRS).